Don't forget to press the ORANGE DONATE BUTTON if you wish to make a donation!
My name is Danny Loental and I am a nurse on 4 Henson, the inpatient oncology unit at Children's Mercy in Kansas City! This is my 6th consecutive year raising money for pediatric cancer research and treatment.
If you're wondering why I only raise money for pediatric cancer research, I'll tell you. It's because of what I see when I go to my job every day.
I see kids and families put in unimaginable situations. I see kids who are less afraid of needles than some adults I know. I see parents who are facing a 4 year treatment plan for their child to be cured of leukemia and they still say "One day at a time". I see children cured. I see children relapse. I see children relapse again. I see bone marrow transplants succeed and fail. I see that low risk leukemia has more than a 90% cure rate, but I also see the other 10%.
I see our miracle treatments that cure some children, but harm other children more than the actual cancer.
I see revolutionary new types of treatment. Immunotherapy, which harnesses a patient's own immune system and re-engineers it to fight cancer. I see monoclonal antibodies, which is a fancy word for a drug that ONLY attacks cancer, instead of "burning down the forest to kill the weeds".
I see that all of these new treatments move so slowly through clinical trials, and meanwhile some children are out of options. And I see that all of this research costs money.
I see an obvious way to help, even though the money I raise is just a drop in the bucket. But if my drop is the drop that makes the difference in just one child's life, then it is worth the effort.
So please donate!